Monday, February 11, 2013

Appendix!

The last few weeks have been a whirl wind so I better catch up again. Two weeks ago, Chops was feeling kind of blah on Sunday afternoon. Which then became excruciating pain as the night progressed. He woke me up around 1 am to let me know that he was hurting pretty bad. So of course we googled symptoms before deciding it would be prudent to head to the hospital. The drive kind of made me think of having a baby. Chops kept telling me to watch the bumps and we were the only ones on the road, rushing to the hospital. Since both of my kids have come by induction, I told Chops this may be the closest we ever get. We made it to the ER, which was pretty empty so we got a room pretty quick. The doctor came in and asked the questions, they hooked Chops up to an IV and started the pain meds flowing and arranged to have a CT scan done. The dr said he would come and let us know the results of the scan and we hunkered down to share a super comfy hospital bed. The nurse ended up coming in to give him antibiotics, which we then found out that he did have appendicitis and would be getting surgery in the am. We killed a couple of hours by trying to sleep, there was a sad, sad little baby that was crying in the room next to us, so it was hard. The next thing we know, the surgeon comes in and drills the questions again to make sure Chops isn't a hypochondriac and then its time to whisk him away to surgery. Once the surgeon came it went pretty quickly. Apparently, he had to make it to a dentist appointment. It kind of didn't sink in that he was getting surgery until they wheeled him down the hallways on the gurney and I had to sign all the forms and say good bye. Luckily, the surgery didn't last too long so I didn't have too long to worry. I didn't call his mom until after he was headed into surgery, I knew she would worry. The dr came out and said everything went well, they were able to take it all out and there was no infection or complications. I had to wait for him to come out of recovery before I could see him. Right a way he was cracking jokes. I can't remember what he said but it was pretty funny and nice to see him semi lucid. I think that because he had hardly slept the night before (maybe the fact that he had also just come out of anesthesia...) he was super tired so most of the recovery time was spent sleeping. Its probably what I should have been doing too. I ran home to check on the kids, my sweet brother was watching them after my mom had to leave for work. We were out of the hospital around 12:30 and then picked up his drugs and headed home. Poor Chops kind of got the shaft during the first week of his recovery because Wyatt ended up sick with a fever and wanted lots and lots of mom attention. It was also the week of his second gastroenterology visit. Its been a crazy couple of weeks! But I'm glad that Chops is feeling better and is now itching to get out and play in the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment